Crime Prevention Tips for Tax Season!
With tax season in full swing, the Elk Grove Police Department would like to remind residents to be wary of tax scams! Each year, many Americans lose millions of dollars and important personal information to tax scams. Scammers use the mail, telephone, and email to set up individuals and steal their information.
Here are some tips to help protect yourself and your information:
- Don’t give personal information to unsolicited callers (this includes bank account numbers, social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, credit card numbers, addresses, and other information).
- Don’t carry your Social Security card or any documents with your SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on it. Keep these documents somewhere safe and secure.
- Protect your personal computers by using firewalls and anti-spam/virus software, making sure to keep security patches up to date.
- Create secure passwords (Longer passwords, which include numbers, capital letters and symbols) and change passwords for internet accounts regularly.
- Check your credit report every 12 months.
- Be aware of your surroundings when providing any personal information over the phone.
- Remember that the IRS will only request payment through the mail.
Please contact the Elk Grove Village Police Department at 847-357-4100 if you believe that you have been the victim of a tax scam.