Recent Residential Burglaries
The Northwest Suburbs including Elk Grove Village, have recently experienced an increase in residential burglaries. While these crimes are not common occurrences, there is frequently an uptick during the holiday season. Extra vigilance will help prevent you or your neighbors from becoming a victim of this crime.
The Elk Grove Village Police Department requests assistance in citizens reporting suspicious activity, people, or vehicles in your neighborhood. A common tactic involved in these burglaries is for the offender(s) to case a neighborhood first. They may ring the doorbell to see if anyone is home. If someone answers, they say they were looking for someone who doesn’t actually live there and then leave. They may pose as solicitors or even utility providers. Other times they may attempt to avoid contact all together and observe a neighborhood by foot or vehicle, which is why we need your help!
Call 911 immediately to provide information on a suspicious vehicle, such as the vehicle’s make, model, color, license plate number, occupants and any distinguishing features, such as window tints or physical damage. If a suspicious person is seen, note physical descriptors such as race, height, weight, hair color, age, and clothing description.
Below are some additional ways to help reduce your homes vulnerability to burglary:
- Lock all exterior doors in your home when you are away or at home
- Invest in a quality deadbolt lock set for front and back doors
- Lock windows and secure them in their track so they don’t slide up. Pin-locks can accomplish this task. Newer windows have these lock systems already in place
- Keep sliding patio doors locked
- Do not keep your garage door open if you aren’t present
- Lock doors to your vehicles; keep items of value out of sight
- Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed so they do not block visibility
- Use outdoor lighting in front and back. Also consider motion-detected lighting
- Install an alarm/camera systems for added security. This can not only give you peace of mind, but may also assist the police investigation if a burglary were to occur.
The Elk Grove Village Police Department again reminds you to report any and all suspicious activity or people that you see in your neighborhood. Do not hesitate to call 911 for police response.