E-Newsletter - January 2020
Elk Grove Village Year in Review
2019 was an exciting and excellent year for the Village! Check out some of the Village’s accomplishments from last year:
- Named the Third Safest City to live in Illinois.
- Completed construction of the James Paul Petri Public Works Facility at 450 E Devon Ave.
- Completed construction of two brand new fire stations, stations 8 and 10.
- Elk Grove Village Cares program recognized as Governor’s Cup Finalist for Hometown Awards.
- Elk Grove Village remains the most affordable community for residents and has maintained the lowest combined property tax rates in the area for over 20 years.
- Sponsored Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl for the second year and attracted Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores to build a 7,600 sq. ft. fueling station in Elk Grove Village.
- Fire Department installed 256 FREE smoke detectors in residences as part of the “Be Alarmed” program.
- Hosted four community blood drives and collected 155 units of blood.
- Elk Grove Village remains Tree City USA Community for 34th consecutive year.
Water Meter Upgrade Project
The Village has contracted with Siemens for a water meter replacement project that will begin between approximately January 2020 and June 2020. The modern meters will replace older, mechanical units with new technology that will help identify high water usage and potential leaks. The new meters will result in smarter water use for customers, and enhanced waters conservation opportunities. All residents were mailed a Water Meter Replacement Welcome Letter this month.
To learn more about the project, please visit the Village website at elkgrove.org/watermeter or call (866) 931-2199 if you have any questions.
Legalization of Recreational Cannabis
Starting January 1, 2020, Illinois residents over 21 years of age can legally possess and privately use cannabis under certain limitations. Please be aware of the following regulations if plan on using:
- Smoking cannabis in public places is prohibited.
- You must be 21 or over to purchase, possess, or use cannabis.
- Only licensed dispensaries are allowed to sell products containing cannabis.
- You will be arrested if you are driving under the influence of cannabis.
Please use responsibly and visit the Village website for more limitation and details.
New Public Works Facilities Earn “Project of the Year” Award
The Village is excited to announce that the new Elk Grove Village Public Works Facilities have earned the “Project of the Year” award from the Chicago Suburban Branch of the American Public Works Association (APWA). The James Paul Petri Public Works Facility and Public Works Fleet garage won the award in the category for structures budgeted between $25 million and $75 million. The Village is proud to earn the recognition from the American Public Works Association because it validates our commitment to providing our residents and businesses with top-notch public facilities and services.
To learn more about this prestigious award, please visit the Village website.
We Are Hiring: Environmental Health Intern
The Village is hiring an Environmental Health Intern to assist the Community Development Environmental Health Services Division during the summer of 2020. This is a full-time summer paid internship, which will provide the successful applicant with an excellent opportunity to observe and participate in various Environment Health related projects. Responsibilities include: property maintenance, health and sanitation inspections, preparing reports and correspondence, working with Environmental Health Inspectors and various other duties.
The deadline to apply for the position is February 17, 2020. For more information and details on how to apply for the position, please visit the Village website.
Coffee with the Mayor & Board
Residents are invited to come to the next Coffee with the Mayor & Board to share thoughts and concerns. Come and share your concerns and questions as you enjoy complimentary coffee and snacks!
Saturday, February 1, 2020
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Village Hall, 901 Wellington Ave.