Asphalt driveways are located between the property line (public sidewalk) and the garage. Driveways shall be located a minimum of two feet (2’) from the side property line.
• A driveway's maximum width shall be twenty feet (20’) for residences with a one (1) car garage opening.
• A driveway's maximum width shall be thirty feet (30’) for residences with a two (2) or three (3) car garage opening.
• Driveway aprons shall have a two foot (2’) or three foot (3’) flare.
• Driveways can be constructed of concrete, brick pavers or asphalt, but the entire driveway must be constructed with only one material type.
• Driveway apron width shall not exceed the width of the driveway.
• Existing driveway materials that have been removed shall not be placed on the roadway or within the Village Right-Of-Way.
• Damage to the roadway, curb or grass parkway must be restored to original condition.
Why Apply for a Permit?
The Village of Elk Grove requires a permit for the installation of an Asphalt driveway. By applying for a permit, the Village is able to supply the Permittee/Contractor with the necessary information and details to ensure this improvement meets Village codes and requirements.
The Permit Process
• Obtain a permit application from the Department of Community Development, which is located on the Main Level of the Charles J. Zettek Municipal Building at 901 Wellington Avenue, or on-line here.
• Return the completed application to the Department of Community Development with a copy of your Plat of Survey showing the location and dimensions of the proposed asphalt driveway improvement. You can also upload your plat online.
• Required dimensions include: the proposed driveway width at the garage and at the front property line and drive apron width at the property line.
• After you receive your permit make sure to call for your required inspection(s). You can also schedule your inspections online.
Inspections allow Village staff to physically view the contractor’s work and make sure the Village codes and requirements are followed.
• Base Inspection
Permittee/Contractor must schedule an inspection prior to paving asphalt to ensure that proper stone base depth and compaction have been achieved. See Village specifications for detailed requirements.
• Requesting Inspections
To schedule an inspection, contact the Department of Community Development at (847)357-4220, Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Requests for inspections must be made 24 hours in advance. Please have your permit number ready when you call. You can schedule inspections online, even if you didn't apply for your permit online!
For Detailed Specifications click on:
• Residential Driveway/Apron General Specifications
• Bituminous Concrete (Asphalt) Driveway Specifications
• Residential Driveway Apron Standard Detail
• General Residential Driveway Permit Information