Patios are required to be installed a minimum of five feet (5’) from the side property line. Any request to install a patio less than five feet (5’) from the side property line must be approved by the Community Development Department.
Service walks are required to be installed a minimum of two feet (2’) from the side property line.
• Patios and service walks are required to be constructed of concrete or brick pavers.
• Patios and service walks may not block existing drainage swales or overland drainage flow routes.
• Patios and service walks may not be tied into the building foundation.
• Patios and service walks are required to be installed a minimum of six inches (6”) below the top of foundation.
• Positive drainage away from the building must be maintained.
• Vegetation and top soil removed during the installation of a patio or service walk must be removed from the property and disposed of properly.
Why Apply for a Permit?
The Village of Elk Grove requires a permit for the installation of a concrete or brick paver Patio/Service Walk. By applying for a permit, the Village is able to supply the Permittee/Contractor with the necessary information and details to ensure this improvement meets Village codes and requirements.
The Permit Process
• Obtain a permit application from the Department of Community Development, which is located on the Main Level of the Charles J. Zettek Municipal Building at 901 Wellington Avenue, or on-line here.
• Return the completed application to the Department of Community Development with a copy of your Plat of Survey showing the location and dimensions of the proposed patio and/or service walks. You can also upload your plat online.
• After you receive your permit, make sure to call to schedule your required inspection(s). You can also schedule inspections online.
Inspections allow Village staff to physically view the contractor’s work and make sure the Village codes and requirements are followed.
• Pre-Pour Inspection (Concrete)
Permittee/Contractor must schedule an inspection prior to pouring concrete to ensure that proper stone base depth and compaction have been achieved.
• Base Inspection (Brick Paver)
Permittee/Contractor must schedule an inspection prior to brick paver installation to ensure that proper stone base depth and compaction have been achieved and that the proper edge restraints have been installed.
• Requesting Inspections
To schedule an inspection, contact the Department of Community Development at (847) 357-4220, Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Requests for inspections must be made 24 hours in advance. Please have your permit number ready when you call. You can always schedule inspections online, even if you didn't apply for your permit online!
For Detailed Specifications click on:
• PC Concrete Patio, Service Walk, Stoop & Shed Pad Specifications
• Brick Paver Patio & Service Walk Specifications
• Brick Paver Edge Restraint Detail 1 of 2
• Brick Paver Edge Restraint Detail 2 of 2