Camping Safety

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Camping Safety

Camping can be fun and provide a lot of adventure. But you need to mindful about the dangers of the outdoors to ensure the safety of everyone in your group. This information is also helpful even for spending time in your own backyard or garden.


Tents can be easily ignited by a flame source such as candles, fuel fire stoves, lanterns (such as kerosene lanterns), or sparks from a campfire. Make sure tents are placed at a safe distance from campfires. Purchase flame-retardant tents whenever possible and always extinguish a campfire and other flames before you go to sleep.


Aside from causing itching, pain, redness, and swelling, many insects can also spread a number of diseases. When outside for long periods of time, cover your skin and avoid scented products which, attract bugs. Use insect repellent and if you are out at dusk or dawn, make sure to wear long sleeves and long pants.

Poison Oak and Ivy

Contact with one of these plants can cause itching and uncomfortableness that lasts for weeks. The culprit is urushiol, the toxic substance that causes the reaction. This oil can be found on every part of the plants. The skin reaction usually develops 12 to 48 hours after exposure. If you know you have come in contact with one of these plants, immediately rinse your skin with rubbing alcohol or dishwashing detergent.  Apply wet compresses, calamine lotion, or hydrocortisone cream to the skin to reduce itching and blistering.

More information can be found at the U.S. Forest Service and Centers for Disease Control.