History of the Elk Grove Village Fire Department
Since its beginning on February 21, 1960, the Elk Grove Village Fire Department has grown from an all volunteer Department to a fully paid professional Department with 94 uniformed members and 9 civilian support personnel. Prior to the formation of the Department, the Village of Elk Grove was protected by the Elk Grove Rural Fire Protection District and its services were provided through the Mount Prospect Fire Department.
The first volunteer Fire Chief was John A. Mergens. The Department was first located in an old barn located at 780 Tonne Road. It was donated by Charles (Chuck) Hodlmair, the first Village President. The Department remained at this location until December 1961, when it then moved into its first permanent station at 666 Landmeier Road. The first equipment purchased by the Department consisted of two (2) 1960 Seagrave Pumpers.
The Fire Department remained volunteer until January 1, 1966, when it hired six (6) full-time firefighters due to the Village’s growth. Volunteer and paid-on-call firefighters continued to supplement the Department into the early 1980’s, at which time a long range program was developed to provide for the projected needs of the Department in terms of staffing and station locations.
On October 7, 1969, ground was broken for the construction of the “Headquarters Station” located at 101 Biesterfield Road.
On November 22, 1969, a temporary west side station was opened at the Elk Grove Park District garage at 499 Biesterfield Road. Three firefighters assigned there each day used a mobile home as their living quarters.
On November 21, 1970, the station at 101 Biesterfield Road was opened and the temporary station was closed. In addition to the pumper apparatus and ambulance already in-service, a 1970 Mack Tractor Trailer 100-foot Aerial Ladder Truck was placed in-Service to provide improved rescue capability for the community.
A third station was opened on December 18, 1971, on Greenleaf Avenue near Busse Road which is a centralized location within the Elk Grove Village Industrial Park.
A fourth station was opened in 1976 at 676 Meacham Road (just south of Biesterfield Road) to provide improved protection for the area west of the I-290 expressway. In late 2017, this station was demolished to make way for a new facility to take the department well into the future. The new station officially opened at 3:00 p.m. on April 29, 2019.
Also in 2017, the Village sold Fire Station 8 at 1000 Oakton Street as part of the development of the Elk Grove Technology Park. Land was purchased at 700 Fargo Avenue within the Elk Grove Industrial Park to build a large, state-of-the art facility that would combine the resources of both Station8 and Station 9 (1655 Greenleaf). The new Station 8 facility opened April 30, 2019. The former Station at 1000 will be demolished as part of the redevelopment plan for the new technology park.